Sunday, July 6, 2008

Life in the Stands

So I've had a chance to get to know some of the other players families. I had a really great time talking to them yesterday as we watched the game. One girl named Jean has a husband on the team too. He actually got drafted at 15 years old. So, he has been up and down for 8 years. So, she was telling me stories. Here and I hit it off. She really makes me laugh and she has a lot of spunk. Her husband was as far up as the AAA level. Anyways, we were talking about how it is hard to sit in the stands and be quiet when your husband makes an error and the crowd (home crowd) gets on them. She is not one to keep her mouth shut either. She said at one game she was arguing back and forth with a 12 year old boy!!! Ha!!! I really like her.
I am so glad that Shane is not a pitcher. There is so much pressure on pitchers. I was talking to the parents of one our pitchers. I asked them if they get nervous when their son is pitching. I told them at the beginning of the season when Shane went up to bat I felt as if I could throw up I was so nervous for him. The father commented "more than you can imagine." He said one game his son gave up back to back home runs. He could tell his son was beyond frustrated by his mannerisms (parents always know). He said he had to walk out of the stands. He was hanging in the shadows kind of still watching the game and then boom another home run. His grown daughter came to ask him if he was okay and he couldn't even talk. So, it just goes to show that if you are a parent, wife, or close friend or family member it is hard to be relaxed. Y0u just pray and encourage. It's all you can do. I wouldn't change it. I love being here. It is mountains and valleys. It's real and I like it.

No comments: